11 July 2023

Pello Bilbao Makes Spain Proud!

Pello Bilbao gave Spain a much-needed stage win at the Tour de France with his great sprint in the final hundred meters.  Six riders in the breakaway managed to get to the finish line without being reeled in by the chasers or the peloton.
Bilbao is now in 5th place in the general classification, 04' 34" behind Jonas Vingegaard.

Racing was fast on a very hot day.  Our prediction was a bit slow.
  • Stage 10:  3h 52' 34" (actual), 4h 02' 16" (prediction), 09'42" slow (4.17% error)
As I have noted many times, I want to be under 3%.  It may be that my model will need a tiny bit more cyclist power output for next year.  Check out Bilbao's average speed.
  • Stage 10:  11.98 m/s (43.14 kph or 26.80 mph)
My model cyclist was about 1.73 kph (1.07 mph) too slow today.

Tomorrow's 11th stage represents the middle of this year's Tour de France.  Cyclists will begin the stage in Clermont-Ferrand, which is where they rested after the 9th stage.  The 179.8-km (111.7-mi) flat stage will have riders head northwest and then east to Moulins.  Our prediction is given below.
  • Stage 11:  3h 59' 41" (prediction)
We were a speck slow in today's heat.  I hope we fare better tomorrow, but if cyclists ride like they did on Stage 8, I will need to give my model cyclist a serious power boost!

No comments:

Post a Comment