24 July 2022

Jasper Philipsen Wins Sprint on Final Stage!

Jasper Philipsen edged out all riders in a ferocious sprint to take the final stage of this year's Tour de France.
After all the super-fast stages, today's stage was molasses running up a sand pile at the start.  More champagne consumed than I had in my model!  Speeds really picked up during the laps in Paris.
Our prediction was much too fast.
  • Stage 21:  2h 58' 32" (actual), 2h 45' 50" (prediction), 12' 42" fast (-7.11% error)
It's always impossible to know how things will go at the start of the last stage.  Sometimes we nail the time; other times we miss.  Today we missed.  Below is Philipsen's average speed.
  • Stage 21:  10.79 m/s (38.85 kph or 24.14 mph)
That's slower than the Tour de France organizers imagined.

I will write a summary blog post tomorrow.  For now, I'll end this post with a great image I grabbed while watching on my office computer.

It was wonderful watching Jonas Vingegaard and Tadej Pogačar battle for the yellow jersey.  I'll never forget this year's Stage 11 and the final climb on Col du Granon.

1 comment:

  1. El tour de Francia es uno de los eventos deportivos más importantes del mundo entero. Afortunadamente la televisión nos retransmite a todos los países para poder disfrutar del mismo. En Mallorca España hay una gran afición al tour de Francia.

    ReplyDelete